Apple released iOS-9, a major operating system upgrade, on Sept 16th.
The good news is that the iOS 9 update is smaller than usual, at 1.3GB, the bad news is that there is a lot of other data usage that comes with the update, data demand that will multiply if you have many Apple devices.
The heavy, data demand includes: updating your computer’s iTunes; backing up your devices; updating the operating system; reinstallation of your apps; and, the updating of your apps to be iOS-9 compatible.
In preparation to the update, do the following:
- Plan your data use: Prevent auto-updating on all your devices.
- Go to >Settings >iTunes & App Store >AUTOMATIC DOWNLOADS
- toggle-OFF both ‘Apps‘ and ‘Updates‘.
- Make space: Review your apps, photos and videos and uninstall unused items. It will be a tough task for many 8/16 GB iPhone or iPad users to free up enough space. Here’s how.
- Get iTunes ready: Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer. Here’s how.
- Update Apps. Use iTunes as download-central for app updates across all your devices. Here’s how.
- Sync your device to iTunes. Make sure all your devices are synced across iTunes. Here’s how.
- Backup your devices. Backup to iTunes (not iCloud) if you are data challenged. Here’s how.
Update iOS update
Once Apple releases the iOS 9 update, you will see a pop-up on your iOS device notifying you that a software update is available. It is recommended that you wait a couple days after the launch to update. There’s always a chance complications will surface. If you’re not the type who wants to spend time troubleshooting issues, it’s best to wait a few days after release to update.
You can download directly through your device but doing this wirelessly will take longer and may exhaust your mobile data. A better suggestion is to update through your computer, using iTunes.
- Plug in the device charger, so you won’t run out of battery and lose the download.
- Connect your device to your computer and update via iTunes. Here’s how.
- After the update, review that your apps are all up-to-date by repeating steps 4 and 5 above.
Prepared for BIRRR on Sept 15, 2015