nbn™ FIXED WIRELESS GENERAL INFO
- NBN Check Your Address – to see if fixed wireless is available in your area click on the link and enter your address
- NBN ISS Fixed Wireless Coverage Notice – areas that previously have been covered by Interim Satellite that now have fixed wireless
- NBN Three Year Construction Plan – FTTN, FTTP, HPC & Fixed Wireless*
- NBN Fixed Wireless Fair Use Policy
FIXED WIRELESS INSTALLS
- NBN Fixed Wireless – Standard and Non Standard Installations – prepared by BIRRR in conjunction with nbn
- Chris’ nbn™ fixed wireless standard install story – Prepared for BIRRR by Chris Downes 5/12/15
NON STANDARD FIXED WIRELESS INSTALLS
- Using a WIFI Bridge to achieve a nbn™ Fixed Wireless Connection – prepared for BIRRR by John Kitchener
- Kain’s Non Standard Fixed Wireless Install Story – prepared for BIRRR by Kain Fitzgerald
- Jacob’s Sharing Internet Connections with Neighbours Story – Prepared for BIRRR by Jacob Johnson & John Kitchener 24/2/16
- A Solar powered nbn Fixed Wireless station and WIFI repeater – Kindly prepared and illustrated for BIRRR by John Kitchener 6/5/2016
- Sizing solar panels for an nbn Fixed Wireless Non Standard Installation – Kindly prepared and illustrated for BIRRR by John Kitchener 6/5/2016
- How to configure Ubiquiti – ‘Transparent’ Bridge Mode – Kindly prepared and illustrated for BIRRR by John Kitchener
- A solar powered install, click here
- A solar powered install, click here
The client will be able to have fast internet, also they will be using the wifi network for their weather station, water tank monitoring, wifi ip cameras for security as well as activating bore pumps all from their smart phone when they are not home.
- Cost of a solar powered set up, one BIRRR member’s report. Click here
- Some more costings by different BIRRR members here and Whirlpool member here
How High Can The Mast be
*The Three Year Construction Plan (the Plan) does not include premises that are already completed, in-build or covered by satellite, or new developments. nbn intends to update this information quarterly to include new areas and reflect ongoing variations arising from the planning process.
TROUBLESHOOTING A FIXED WIRELESS CONNECTION
If you are having speed issues or connection issues these trouble shooting steps may help you solve the problem. Click here for them.
CONGESTION ON FIXED WIRELESS TOWERS
Q. Is this congestion because the Fixed Wireless towers use the same backhaul as mobile wireless?
A. nbn co typically has their own licensed spectrum microwave links between each of their towers, and the last tower has a Fibre connection to the POI. This is a generalisation, but it’s something like this …
Tower 1 (microwave ->) Tower 2 (microwave ->) Tower 3 (microwave ->) Tower 4 (fibre ->) POI
The link between Tower 1 and Tower 2 just has to carry the traffic for Tower 1, and in most cases it will be lightly loaded. But as we get closer to the POI, the microwave between, say, Tower 3 and Tower 4 carries the traffic for three towers, and that’s where the congestion can occur.
Q. In the good old days, we were told there would be ‘no congestion’ on FW towers, like there is on a mobile wireless tower because there is always a fixed number of connections to the tower, whereas with mobile wireless the numbers can fluctuate.
A. That’s exactly what we were told. However along comes Optus (and others) offering ‘unlimited’ Plans and all the capacity planning goes out the window. As far as I know, nbn co hasn’t enforced the Fair Use Policy for Fixed Wireless. If that’s the case, they need to do that.
A List of Congested nbn Wireless Towers
ALL POSTS ABOUT FIXED WIRELESS
- BIRRR Forms
- BIRRR nbn™ Fixed Wireless Success Stories
- Chris’ Story nbn Standard Fixed Wireless
- Complaining to the TIO
- Contact a Politician
- How Do I Get nbn™ ?
- How to find your Latitude and Longitude using Google Maps
- Jacob’s Story – Sharing Internet Connections with Neighbours
- Jostin’s nbn non Standard Fixed Wireless Story Using PtP link
- Kain’s nbn™ non-standard Fixed Wireless Install
- MEDIA RELEASE: ‘GETTING LEFT BEHIND’ (Survey results)
- NBN Fixed Wireless – Standard and Non Standard Installations
- Peel NSW PtP nbn Fixed Wireless & FTTN Shared with Neighbours
- Problems with your NBN connection?
- Troubleshooting your Fixed Wireless Internet Connection
- Using a WIFI Bridge to achieve a nbn™ Fixed Wireless connection
- Using PtP to relay nbn Fixed Wireless from a Farm Shed
- VoWIFI or WIFI Calling
- What is unmetering and how does it work?
Please note, while all care has been taken in compiling BIRRR documents, we recommend that you check with NBN or your ISP regarding your own connection issues.