To assist in selecting a service provider for nbn Sky Muster BIRRR highly recommends looking at the following tip sheet. CLICK HERE
There are 11 Internet Service Providers (ISPs or RSPs) offering standard plans for nbn Satellite (Sky Muster). Providers offering Sky Muster Plus (offers unmetered data for everything except VPN and video streaming and the ability to speed burst) plans can be compared here.
Important questions to ask your nbn Sky Muster Provider
- Is there an activation or installation fee (most providers offer FREE Sky Muster installs)
- Is a plug & play router provided ? At what cost? NOTE: you will need to order this when you order your installation.
- How can you pay for your account ? Does the provider accept direct deposit, credit card etc? Does the provider charge an account fee, late fee, credit card fee or invoice fee ? (most providers DO NOT charge invoice fees)
- Can you upgrade your plan during your billing cycle ? Can you purchase a data block ?
- What speed tier are you signing up to 12/1 or 25/5 Mbps? Are there any fees for changing your speed tier? (most providers DO NOT charge a ‘speed change’ fee)
- Is there a contract for your Sky Muster account ? Most providers offer 30 day plans so please DO NOT get locked into a contract for 12/24 mths unless you are happy with your provider & their customer service.
- iinet and Westnet have not passed on the full increases to nbn Sky Muster Peak Data announced by nbn in 2017. Additionally iinet and Westnet DO NOT have representatives in BIRRR that can assist with issues.
- What customer support specifics are available e.g. hours/days, public holidays, Australian support centres? What notifications do they send for outages and data usage? How can you view your data usage ?
- Not all providers offer an education port plan, click here to see the BIRRR Education Plan Comparison
BIRRR Sky Muster Price Comparison Table
ALL PLANS ARE 25/5 SPEED – TABLE UPDATED August 2021
- A 12/1 speed plan costs $5 less per month across the board with all providers.
- Upon request, SkyMesh* will endeavour to match any plan published by a competitor, as long as they remain compliant with nbn Fair Use Policy.
- Yellow indicates good value plans with a peak data cost of under 95 cents/GB.
- Orange indicates highest peak data plans with each provider.
- Blue plans indicate 12 months contracted price.
- It is important to review the RSP’s Critical Information Summaries or CIS. The CIS was mandated by the ACCC to make it easy for customers to compare ISPs’ offerings. Don’t make a decision on price alone.
- Check the contract terms stated by the provider you choose, contracted plans are usually cheaper.
- Ask your provider if they charge for activation or installation of your Sky Muster service, most providers DO NOT charge.
- Some providers may offer bonuses such as a month free, or a free router or bonus school holiday data, check with your provider regarding these offers.
Providers can differ in performance, depending on their customer numbers and how much they have invested in their network. It is not expected that each retail service provider will offer the same level of service. Therefore, you should check that the level of service offered matches what you need.
NB: Telstra and OPTUS are currently not NBN Sky Muster Satellite Providers.
BIRRR Provider Comparison
*Please note, while all care has been taken in compiling BIRRR documents, we recommend that you check with your service provider regarding your eligibility and best plans available. Page updated 01/08/2020