To assist in selecting a service provider for Sky Muster BIRRR highly recommends looking at the following tip sheet. CLICK HERE
Standard Sky Muster Plans – see below
Sky Muster Plus Plans – offers unmetered data for essential tasks and the ability to speed burst (when the network allows)
Important questions to ask your Sky Muster Provider
- Is there an activation or installation fee (most providers offer FREE Sky Muster installs)
- Is a plug & play router provided ? At what cost? NOTE: you will need to order this when you order your installation.
- How can you pay for your account ? Does the provider accept direct deposit, credit card etc? Does the provider charge an account fee, late fee, credit card fee or invoice fee ? (most providers DO NOT charge invoice fees)
- Can you upgrade your plan during your billing cycle ? Can you purchase a data block ?
- What speed tier are you signing up to 12/1 or 25/5 Mbps? Are there any fees for changing your speed tier? (most providers DO NOT charge a ‘speed change’ fee)
- Is there a contract for your Sky Muster account ? Most providers offer 30 day plans so please DO NOT get locked into a contract for 12/24 mths unless you are happy with your provider & their customer service.
- iinet and Westnet have not passed on the full increases to Sky Muster Peak Data announced by nbn in 2017, they also have 24 months contract unless you pay the $99.95 activation fee. Additionally iinet, Westnet and Loaded Net DO NOT have representatives in BIRRR that can assist with issues.
- What customer support specifics are available e.g. hours/days, public holidays, Australian support centres? What notifications do they send for outages and data usage? How can you view your data usage ?
- Not all providers offer an education port plan, click here to see the BIRRR Education Plan Comparison
BIRRR Sky Muster Price Comparison Table
All plans are 12/1 speed – there is a $5 extra per month cost across the board (all providers) for the 25/5 speed. Table updated 12/08/19
SKY MUSTER NOTES
Some providers may Plan Match upon request, as long as they remain compliant with nbn co’s Fair Use Policy. If you find a provider that has a plan you like, you can ask your current provider if they PLAN MATCH.
* A 25/5 speed plan costs $5 extra per month across the board with all providers.
* Yellow indicates good value plans with a peak data cost of under 90 cents/GB.
* Orange indicates highest peak data plans with each provider.
* Green shows plans which have bonus data deals for a limited time only, please check with the provider to find out more.
* Blue plans indicate 12 months contracted price.
* It is important to review the RSP’s Critical Information Summaries or CIS. The CIS was mandated by the ACCC to make it easy for customers to compare ISPs’ offerings. Don’t make a decision on price alone.
* Check the contract terms stated by the provider you choose, contracted plans are usually cheaper.
* Ask your provider if they charge for activation or installation of your Sky Muster service, most providers DO NOT charge.
* Some providers may offer bonuses such as a month free, or a free router or bonus school holiday data, check with your provider regarding these offers.
# To receive a no lock in contract a $99.95 activation fee applies to all plans, if this fee is not paid contract terms for Iinet & Westnet are 24 mths. #iinet & Westnet have NOT passed on the full increases to data allowances that were announced in 2017.
ACCAN recommend: Providers differ on the level of performance offered depending on the number of customers they have and how much they have invested in their service. It is not expected that each retail service provider will offer the same level of service. Therefore, you should check that the level of service offered matches what you need.
Sky Muster Plan Overview – all providers.
Maximum data plan peak average across all providers = 137.08 GB Peak data Average monthly bill cost for highest peak data plans (12/1 speed) = $128.72 cost
Average Cost per Gb for highest Peak data Plan across all providers = $1.08 per GB
NB: Telstra and OPTUS are currently not NBN Sky Muster Satellite Providers.
If you have a Telstra satellite connection you should make plans to get a different provider now. Due to limited demand and alternative technology, Telstra has made the decision to close their Telstra Broadband Satellite (this is NOT the nbn Sky Muster Satellite) on 3 December 2018.
Support Hours & Outage Notification Comparison
*Please note, while all care has been taken in compiling BIRRR documents, we recommend that you check with your service provider regarding your eligibility and best plans available. Page updated 30/8/18.